Sunday, November 23, 2008

Australia - Vintage Love Affair!


Are you going to see Australia? I think I have to...but it's 160 minutes long which might kill me...Who can possibly sit still for that long? Who can watch Nicole for that long for that matter! Hugh might save me though...as will all of those fabulous costumes Nicole gets to dress up in.

From what I've caught of the trailer Nicole's character, Lady Sarah Ashley certainly rocks a dress (and a pair of jodpurs!).

Catherine Martin, wife of Director Baz Lurhman, who put together the film's wardrobe and sourced all of the props sure knows her vintage. The film is set in the early 1940's and apparently she had some 300 people sourcing antique or replica items for the movie's backdrops. The fashion of course is meticulously accurate and completely spectacular.

What do you expect from the woman who designed (and won 2 academy awards for...) the wardrobe for Moulin Rouge. She also worked on Baz's other film Romeo & Juliette, the reworking of Puccini's La Bo heme. Oh and that fabulous Aussie blockbuster Strictly Ballroom a few years back.

I really don't care for Nicole's movies all that much...In fact I don't think I even finished watching all of Moulin Rouge even with the fantastic wardrobe... To be fair though she scared the pants off of me in The Others and I loved that indie flick with Joaquin Pheonix that made her famous - To Die For.

As a style icon however, I'll give her credit where it's due. She really does have the most wonderful figure. Her height and her posture makes her almost regal looking and the perfect model for all those incredible costumes. As do her porcelain features and (remarkably?!) smooth,unblemished skin. She always looks immaculate on the Red Carpet and I don't think I've seen her in a bad photo shoot (see the US vogue pictures below...)

She's certainly come along way from BMX Bandits!

I think as a dedicated follower of fashion and someone who lives and breathes vintage I really have to see this movie...if only for Lady Ashley's amazing Salvatore Ferragamo shoe collection and monogrammed Prada Luggage...



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't been to the movies in ages. I think the last movie I saw in theaters was Memoirs of A Geisha, so it's really been a while LOL

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the typos, I hit "publish" too soon....

dress up games said...

Good post thank for the sharing
...


dress up games