Wednesday, January 2, 2008

THE ART OF CALM

I love the beginning of a new year. There's so much to look forward to and I always feel a deep sense of excitement at what the next 12 months might have in store.
Looking back over 2007, there certainly were plenty of highs and a few lows too. Lots of progress, some back peddling...A million laughs and quite a few teary occasions...dozens of milestones, ditto learning curves. Some very significant life lessons and one marriage proposal!

2008 has a lot to live up to!
Having laid such lofty foundations throughout the final months of 2007, I'm embracing it whole heartily!
But, this year I hope to make a couple of significant changes in my approach to things.
I'm going to slow down a bit and learn to focus a little better.

It has recently dawned on me that we spend a inordinate amount of our time stressing about ... well, time! And generally being crazily busy...which in turn makes us less affective at what we were trying to achieve in the first place. I've actually noticed I become less focused when I give myself a million and one tasks to complete.
I'm not saying I'm going to do try and do fewer things...because I know that's simply not true, nor is it realistic - I have a business to get off the ground after all!
I'll still write my lengthy To Do lists I'm sure, but I hope to do the tasks at hand with a little more focus and a whole lotta calmness.
I (like many people I know) spend a lot of time preoccupied, worried, nervous and fearful of consequences and outcomes...so much so, that I'm beginning to wonder if I'm ever fully present in the task's I'm performing.
So, my promise to myself is to spend a little more time caught up in the drama of what I'm doing rather than going through the motions - all the while busily planning what I should be doing next in my head, or regretting how I've done things previously, or worrying about the outcomes of current tasks.
I'm going to spend more time being present, being focused and being aware, regardless of how simply or mundane the task may be.

No comments: