Thursday, November 22, 2007

Kamalh's Kool


Frankie magazine features the iconic crooner Kamahl on the back page in their latest issue. The interview is about his life when he was in his twenties. Now, Kamahl isn't someone that I would normal think about, let alone bother to read an entire article about - but being on the train with two stops to go and having consumed the rest of the mag I ventured on...


And gee I'm glad I did. What a honest, warm man with a conscience and a heartfelt message to those of us out there who are so busying looking for social acceptance that we forget to learn as much as we can about life. His comment about his insecurities and wanting people to like him really touched me; "Instead of reading or learning a language or finding out about other things, I'm still seeking applause...".


I'm not sure about you, but I spent a great deal of my youth desperately seeking approval from others. And although I've always been inquisitive and thirsty to learn about the world, alot of the wonderful opportunities and experiences I had were marred by my lack of self confidence and a fairly low opinion of myself (too fat, not smart enough, not pretty enough blah, blah, blah) .


As I've gotten older, the desire for acceptance from others and all those youthful fears I trudged around with have dissapeared. This is because I made a conscience descision a few years ago to unload that cargo and work on attaining dreams and and chasing grand, magnificent plans instead of wasting any more energy on my insecurities and being miserable. The crash course in the art of being good to yourself is not always an easy one - remembering to be nice to yourself takes practice! But it's worth the effort just to be able to spend each day feeling happy about life and moving forward. As Kamahl says; "theres no point having regrets".


I won't divulge all the details of his interview, instead I urge you to buy the mag for 8 bucks if you don't already have it - It's a little corker by the way - and read the article. His earnest account of his life and who he is today is a short, sweet read that makes him pretty cool in my book.


No comments: